Personal Website of Kai Mast
I am a Ph.D. student in Computer Science at Cornell University. I live in the wonderful Ithaca, NY and am advised by Gün Sirer. My committee is further comprised of Ross Tate and Michael Macy. I am a member of the initiative for cryptocurrencies and contracts (IC3).
I see myself as a intersectional computer scientist. Digital technologies are changing the world much faster than we can contemplate the implications of these changes. This is something we should not disregard in our research. Therefore, on one hand, I want to build new and exciting systems that make a contribution to the research community. On the other hand, I want to be a voice that helps to make the negative effects of the socio-economic impact of CS more visible and the tech industry a more inclusive space.
Contact me for a more detailed CV or if you want to chat. My preferred gender pronouns are he/him.
As you may know, email security is pretty broken. So I prefer to communicate over end-to-end encrypted channels. My PGP key has the following fingerprint: CC4C B973 F3BB CB09 CA05 D4A9 A539 0769 355D E304
- Verifiable Databases (with Efe Gencer & Gün Sirer)
- Twitter Lifestyles. Project Page. (with Yongren Shi & Michael Macy)
- Distributed Transactions in a Nutshell. Github.
- Klaus M. Schneider, Kai Mast, Udo R. Krieger. CCN Forwarding Strategies for Multihomed Mobile Terminals. International Conference on Networked Systems 2015 (NetSys 2015), Cottbus, Germany, March 9-12, 2015.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science @ Cornell University (ongoing)
- B.S. in Software Engineering @ University of Bamberg
- Systems Lab, Cornell (ongoing)
- Social Dynamics Lab, Cornell (ongoing)
- Systems & Networks Group, MSR Cambridge (Summer 2016)
- Research and Development, Intel Mobile Communications (2014)
- Computer Networks Lab, Uni Bamberg (2012-2014)
- Institute for Theoretical Psychology, Uni Bamberg (2011-2012)
- Siemens Healthcare (2013)
- Elektrobit Automotive (2012-2013)
Outreach and Volunteering
- Expand Your Horizon (2016)
- Computer Science Teacher, Belle Sherman Elementary School (2014)
- Student Representative, Uni Bamberg (2011-2014)
- Zivildienst, Elementary and Middle School Hirschaid (2010-2011)
- I'm a supporter of many cool NGOs. To name a few: the Democracy in Europe Movement, Pro Asyl, and the Center for Political Beauty.
- Operating Systems, Fall 2015
- Database Systems, Fall 2014
- Datenkommunikation (Computer Networks), Fall 2013
- The CS department relies on me for their caffeine needs, for I am the espresso czar.
- I ran for a public office once in Germany (as a candidate of the Pirate Party).
- In highschool/college, I built my first large-scale distributed system: a working prototype of a MMO(RP)G. Eventually, graduate school seemed like more fun.
- I live in a wonderful cooperative house with other students and Ithaca locals.
- When I don't spend hours in front of the computer, I like to plant vegetables, do Yoga, and occasionally rock climb.
Mentors and Friends
- Gün Sirer @ Cornell
- Todor Mladenov @ Intel
- Philipp Eittenberger and Udo Krieger @ Uni Bamberg
- Dietrich Doerner @ Uni Bamberg